access to .xls files via ODBC? or ???

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Oct 18 00:22:00 EDT 2005

Hi people,

I've never used RR's database access features. I would like to write
data to an Excel spreadsheet directly - not to a text file that Excel
can import. I would also like to get data directly from a spreadsheet
file. Am I dreaming, or is it possible to do that via ODBC? Or is there
another approach?

Seems like I've designated an .xls file as an ODBC data source somewhere
in the past, in some other tool - maybe MS Access?

Anyway, that's what I want to do. Has anyone done this before? What's
the best approach?

Many thanks -
Phil Davis