Open Process on OSX

Samuel M. Smith smithsm at samuelsmith.org
Mon Oct 17 18:57:34 EDT 2005

I would like to open a unix process on OS X  that I can read and
write to. Documentation
is confusing too me because is says to use shell func instead but
shell func doesn't appear to have support for
keeping a process open for reading and writing.

Does anyone have any experience with opening processes/shell on OS X
that could provide a little more light
on how this works?

 From RunRev Docs
"
Note:  On OS X systems, you can use the open process command to start
up an application, but not a Unix process. To work with a Unix
process, use the shell func instead.

Changes to Transcript:
In versions before 1.1.1, when you quit the application, any
processes that had been opened with the neither form were quit
automatically on Windows systems.

Support for using the open process command on OS X systems was added
in version 2.0.
"

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.
2966 Fort Hill Road