Revolution back to HyperCard

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Oct 17 16:15:05 EDT 2005

Hi Richard,

I appreciate your concern and your many good efforts on behalf of the
product we all love.

Richard wrote:

>It seems you understood my question well in spite of my vaguery.  :)
>
>Rev is generally faster than HC with the exception of certain uses
>of "find" (thanks to Atkinson's patented 'hint bits'), so I'd be
>curious to read an analysis of why the two search solutions are so
>very different.
>
>I haven't used SS before, and am not even sure if I still have HC
>installed on this machine.  I don't use the Rev IDE either, but at
>least I do have it around somewhere and could dig out the search
>window.
>
>With SS, what does the result give you?  Does it produce a list of
>found objects, or take you to them sequentially?

It gives them to you sequentially, and it opens the script window on
the first hit. After that, you use the "find next" button in the
search-and-replace script window to get subsequent hits. It finds the
desired strings pretty quick, though Rev finds them faster.

>I'm pretty confident Rev can deliver a search solution that performs
>roughly on par with HC overall, esp. if we're talking about just
>searching scripts rather than fields, as I believe "hint bits" only
>apply to field objects.

Well... I might not have been clear. Searching scripts in Rev is
fine. Better than fine. Searching field text with Rev's "find" stack
is the problem in Rev.

The absence of Atkinson's patented "hint bits" might be part of the
problem with finding field text in Rev, but it's probably not the
main problem.

A simple script that finds field text using the "find" command works
fast enough in Rev. It's just Rev's native "find" stack that is way
too slow.

e.g. the following script takes less than 1 second. Okay, it's a
clunky script, but it works. Homie don't script elegant-like.

on mouseup
   go first
   put 1 into countVar1
   put 1 into countVar2
   repeat until CountVar2 < countVar1 or the shiftkey is down
     put the number of this card into countVar1
     find string "software"
     put the foundchunk & return after theVar
     put the number of this card into countVar2
   end repeat
   go first
     put theVar after cd field "temp"
end mouseup

This script takes a second or two, in Rev in the stack I used to test it.

The same task in Rev's "find" stack takes 15 to 20 seconds, searching
the same stack.

It is offputting, I must say, that the Find stack is so very slow, at
least when it comes to field text. It gets much, much worse with
larger stacks, containing many fields per card, and many cards. In
those stacks, Rev's simple find command still works great.

cheers,

Tim