revDocWiki

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Oct 17 06:45:59 EDT 2005

<Timothy wrote>
> I said on the old thread that the ideal revDocWiki would begin with
> the existing Rev docs, which would then be improved, edited,
> expanded, scripting examples added, and maybe links to mini-stacks
> that demonstrating various features and topics in more depth, and
> so on. It seemed to me that there would have to be some responsible
> editorial control over the Wiki, even if the editors were
> volunteers authorized by Rev, or authorized by some kind of panel
> of Rev gurus, or something.

This is an excellent suggestion... but yes, the initiative or at
least approval for such an initiative has to come from revolution.
Converting the doc into html or wiki format is not the issue. And
yes, there need to be a small group of trusted editors taking care of
this.

The environment to look at, then, is something like plone/zope. You
can easily have documents that have for status "submitted" and not
put on-line before approval from the editors... again, the issue
there is reputation. Understandbly Revolution would prefer to avoid
any solution where there is a risk of the content become filled with
errors.

Another option to consider is writing a tutorial wikibook. Killing
two birds with the same stone: Regularly updated documetnation +
Promoting Revolution to a larger market.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:REBOL

<Russ wrote>
> I did find this http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?
> page=SoftwareRevolution, but felt that it wasn't quite what I was
> looking for.

In what sense?

These page are meant to serve exactly the same purpose  you propose.
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?
page=RevolutionSnippetTips
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=ProgrammingXtalk
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?
page=TutorialsTeachers

I agree, this is a bit burried down, there is too much content on
this wiki... I try to give more visibility to what seems to trigger
interest (feedback on the list, number of hits on the page in the
week that follows any announcement I make). And I advertise on
mailing lists like this content that more specifically of interest to
a given community.  :-).

> So, I've set up a wiki at http://revdocwiki.wikispaces.org/ . I've
> posted the 3 work arounds for the issues that have caused me the
> most frustration up until now. Wikispaces.org is new to me, so I
> can't vouch for them as a reliable space to host this information,
> however, I figure it's worth trying it out.
> If anyone else is interested, please take a look and maybe post
> some information there as well.

Honestly, I am very unconfortable with the fact you have an AdsSense
Google for a page where (1) you expect others to contribute to the
content and (2) you try to have your wiki assume some official role
(if you created your wiki as a follow up to Timothy's email).
AdsSense Google are perfectly ok in the context of blogs, or personal
website, but when found on a website which invites me to contribute
quality content, I expect to earn a few pences every time I
contribute something ;).

Marielle

PS. Busy... not the time to follow all emails on this list... going
away for a wedding (mine actually) in less than 10 days.... will have
even less presence then as I will be away for a full month... Anybody
to keep an eye on my wiki during that time (coming close from a
computer during my honeymoon would be preparing a case for divorce :) ).

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Homepage:  http://homepages.lexicall.org/mlange/