ANN: New Website for TAOO

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Mon Oct 17 03:09:02 EDT 2005

Dan

You can overide or subclass methods. However...

Overide happens at the local stack level - you copy the library's method
and overide it from the
local stack's methods.

Subclassing is a bit different:
You have a mehod called CreateClient that creates clients. If you wanted
to use that to createClient
objects or Companies, you copy the method, rename it and change what you
need.

OR

if you have a generic createobject method, you can improve this one by
providing what kind of
object you want to create. The createObject is then scripted to either do
different things per object
(which will overbloat the function) or you create a subtype creation
branching for the different objects
that createobject can make. Harder to explain given the number of
choices...

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 17/10/2005 08:44:39:

> I'm still struggling a bit to grok TAOO as well, Dennis. We've
> established that it's not extensible in the Smalltalk sense (i.e., by
> subclassing and overriding methods). It's more like a collection of
> Rev libraries that go one step beyond the usual libraries by
> providing a generalized framework within which you can build apps and
> other libraries more efficiently.
>
> In that sense, I suspect it's more like a conventional programming
> language set of libraries. You load the libraries, then call their
> functions and commands, which are designed to be as generic as Xavier
> can make them to deal with the most common programming requirements
> he encounters in the kinds of apps he builds. He's inviting us to
> create new libraries that address other kinds of programming
> requirements.
>

> On Oct 16, 2005, at 6:06 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:
>
> > However, if you did not "get" Forth, you might not be able to tell
> > me if I have got any kind of mental hook to grab onto it yet.  I
> > understand Small Talk  is an extensible language and you are
> > familiar with it.  Can you draw any parallels in that direction?

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER