FORTH and Hypercard

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sun Oct 16 21:47:15 EDT 2005

In 1980 I worked with Kenny Jones (now at Digital Domain) at a place
called New World Pictures. We worked on a machine called the Elicon,
a camera control robot that was programmed in FORTH, and made movie
special effects for Roger Corman and others.

It was a beautiful piece of work - dc servo motors driven from a huge
interface panel and a PDP-11.

I liked FORTH a lot. I had an implementation of FORTH for the Apple
][ that screamed.  UI was a command line.

I also liked a feature of Hypercard that was like forth - you could
redefine and intercept a lower level handler using the same name. I
guess it was a design decision to not allow that in Transcript....
but why?

sqb

--
stephen barncard