Revolution back to HyperCard

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Sun Oct 16 21:12:34 EDT 2005

Sorry, Richard, I probably don't completely understand your question.

I'd guess you were once a HC user, but maybe not. SS stands for
searchscript. It was a script that shipped with hyperCard, in the
home stack. It was invoked by typing SS into the msg box. It searched
for a string in every script in the top stack.

You asked about "each of these scripts." That's the part of your
question I didn't understand.

FWIW, I was comparing the speed of Rev's Find stack, searching for a
string in any script in the top stack versus hyperCard's SearchScript
doing the same job in a similar stack, in classic mode. But you
probably understood that part.

Beyond that, I once wrote a test script comparing the milliseconds at
beginning and end of script, the "find" command in a repeat loop, to
find every instance of a string in any field of a rather large stack.
I compared the elapsed time to the time Rev's "Find" stack took to do
the same job, in the same stack, searching for field text only. I
reported the whole thing on the list 2 or 3 months ago.

As I recall, the "find" command was 59 times faster than the
field-text-only find, using Rev's "Find" stack. It was easy to
calculate because the script took less than two seconds, whereas the
"Find" stack needed more than a minute to do the same job.

Maybe that's what you were asking about. Not sure.

Cheers,

Tim