Advice on deploying 'splash screen' apps

Mark Schonewille europe at ehug.info
Sun Oct 16 17:33:09 EDT 2005

Ben,

If the application is updating application components, these
components should reside in the application folder. This may be
in the application package, on MacOS X. It would be best if the
update would take place after permission of the user and
optionally after entering the master password of the system.

If the components that are updated are user specific, you may
put them into the user library, application support, or
documents folder. I would use the documents folder only if the
user is assumed to have access to the updated files.

Often, I put components that need to be accessible to the user
but belong to the application itself into the application
folder. Only if I'm sure that the user doesn't need to access
the files, I put them into the application package.

I don't use folder names of the form com.company.app because it
is not commonly accepted on all platforms and I think Mac users
don't have a problem with traditional names.

On Windows, there is the Documents and Settings folder where you
can store settings for All Users or for a specific user. These
folders contain the Application Data folder, which might be a
good place to store files that are not directly a part of your
application. Again, if the files are components of the
application itself, I would put them into the folder of your
application. You might also put files into the System or folder
of Windows. If the user needs access to the files, I'd put them
into the Documents folder.

This may be different from official rules, if there are any. If
someone has an opinion different from what I write here, it
would be interesting to know the arguments for his or her approach.

Best,

Mark

--

eHUG coordinator