Hello science in TAOO [long]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 16 15:05:17 EDT 2005

MisterX wrote:
>> There is a ratio of bugs to understandable usefulness.
>> Raise that quotient for TAOO and its adoption rate
>> will change.
>
> very nicely said!
> implacable logic too
>

>> If that level of effort doesn't seem worthwhile to you,
>> you may have to be content shipping commercialy successfuly
>> software at a rate that leave the rest of us in the dust.
>
> now you got me saying eh?

Making software is fun, but ultimately the software that pays the bills
for most of us is also useful.

If I make a tool that benefits my ability to ship apps, as a famous
person once said "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg" if I'm
the only one using it.

In some ways it may actually benefit me, as I won't have distracting
obligations like technical support and documentation.  That's why most
of the tools I write never get publicly distributed: I prefer to stay
focused on shipping commercial apps, rather than putting in the level of
effort needed to make my tools self-evidently useful to others.  My
clients and creditors reinforce that preference. ;)

After 15 years with TAOO, I would imagine you've shipped a lot of
commercially successful apps with it.

So if it proves too much effort to share that level of efficiency with
others, it does you no harm to just keep doing what you're doing.  As
the apps you're shipping become more plentiful and more popular, sooner
or later people will come to you asking "How did you do that?"   At that
point you have their attention, and you may not need to do as much
evangelizing, as the output of your tools will speak for themselves.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal