Open source collaboration [WAS: Re: Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 16 13:55:59 EDT 2005

Todd Geist wrote:
> On 10/15/05 3:40 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>

>>You can solve little things like moving around files and integrating
>>them into the master build as you go.
>>
>>That stuff is easy.
>>
>>The hard part is retaining and utilizing human energy.
>

> I think this is exactly why some type of CVS would be useful.
>
> If someone has a burst of creative energy and wants to apply it to an open
> source project they can't wait around to get get organized and find out who
> has the latest version of a stack or what ever.
>
> But if the code was available in some sort of CVS then they can get to work
> while the burst of creative energy is still fresh.
>
> If the project is always as close to possible to "ready to work on" then it
> will be easier to retain and utilize the creative energy necessary to finish
> a project.

Magic Carpet's been around for a while, and many of us have written
similar tools for various projects.

The MetaCard IDE continues to be developed.  How many other open source
projects have had as many releases in that time frame?

This is not to suggest that such a tool is not useful.  On the contrary,
that we keep building them suggests they are.

I just don't think tools or the lack of tools are holding up any serious
open source efforts.   I think the problem lies elsewhere.

If we assume a priori that the problem is a lack of tools we may
overlook the actual root cause....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal