ANN: New Website for TAOO

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sun Oct 16 12:58:04 EDT 2005

Xavier,

After reading your new introduction on the wiki page.  Something
clicks.  If I understand what TAOO is supposed to be, I can relate it
to Forth.  Forth is a low level but extensible language and IDE from
about 30 years ago.  In Forth you write a definition for a named
routine that is then available for immediate and future project use.
In essence you are extending the base language with higher level
operators that become more specific to solving a particular problem.
A typical Forth program would consist of defining some new operators
needed for solving a problem, then finally the main routine
"doWhatIWant" that consists of a string of high level operators that
solve the problem at a high level of abstraction.  Because Forth is a
stack language, each operator is passing data to the next operator in
line without any explicit references.  Forth was a stupid simple
language.  But it allowed you to design the solution to your problem
at a high level with operators that did not exist, then design the
operators that make those operators work, etc.  until you were at the
lowest level of operator.  But the beauty was that every operator was
an extension to the language for other projects without any effort
other than you had better document your language extensions well, if
you expected to use them again.

One of the weaknesses of XTalk/Transcript in my opinion was that you
could not directly and efficiently extend the language in this same way.

So It seems to me that TAOO is an environment that provides a
framework for an extensible language --but not as effeciently as if
it were built into the language at the primitive level.

So the strength of TAOO would be this extensible language framework
plus all the "extension definitions" that you have already written.

Do I have a correct picture yet in simple terms???

Dennis