Open source collaboration [WAS: Re: Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Oct 14 22:03:09 EDT 2005

Stephen Barncard wrote:

>> TAOO! i just wished i knew how to get people intersted in
>> collaborating in
>> this open source manner and project because so far that seems nearly
>> impossible in this rev market...
>

> ???
> Hmmmm... I have a folder full of 'open source' freely given code for
> Rev --  libraries and examples..... this doesn't count?

I think it's an interesting characteristic of Rev - there is a huge
amount freely given "open source" Rev stacks.

But, as far as I know, there have been few examples of successful,
completed *collaborative* open source developments in Rev. All the
stacks I can think of have been developed and donated by individuals (of
course, they can take ideas from previous stacks, or build on top of
previous stacks, they may often have other Revvers helping with Beta
test, etc.) - but as far as I've seen, there haven't been any highly
visible multi-developer efforts.

It may be (puts on 'optimist' hat) that Rev is so much more productive
that an individual can do so much more ....
or it may be (puts on 'pessimist' hat) that the lack of a RCS / CVS /
subversion equivalent makes multi-developer efforts so much harder in
Rev than in other languages that it just hasn't happened.

If I've forgotten something stupid, or if some efforts have been
multi-developer and I just didn't know, I'd be happy to be corrected.