Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Oct 14 06:56:50 EDT 2005

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

>Did Linus write the help first or the code for linux before people started
>
>collaborating with him? Did people ask him "what is it for?"

No, first thing he had was an "elevator pitch". In his case, he didn't
need to create it specifically as an elevator pitch - but what he had
was a simple, 30-50 second description of what he was doing that was
understandable to almost any potential collaborator.

"I'm doing an open-source, freely licensed version of Unix - it will be
library and API compatible so all your code, shell scripts and general
usage will work on it."

TAOO doesn't, as far as I know, have that. I've not managed to get a
good "feel" for what TAOO does, or what it would be like to use, or how
it would change the everyday tasks to be done in developing an app using
TAOO. And I can't go download something and try it out .... which you
could do with Linux a long time before it was really "done".

I suspect that's largely because of the second reason - Linux was an
incremental project, that most people became familiar with somewhat
early on. TAOO has been going for years, so it's already a big,
multi-faceted, multi-tentacled "thing" - and so is much harder to
describe. It's difficult (if not impossible) for you to extract a
"bite-sized chunk" of it to complete (i.e. get out of beta, release it,
maybe even partly document it and thereby attract co-developers and
users), because doing so would lose one of its primary current benefits
to you, namely its completeness.

 I wish I could tell you how to resolve that problem, but I'm afraid I
can't ....