Rev vs. AJAX...Or Web-Aware Apps vs. Web Apps

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Oct 14 01:22:29 EDT 2005

On Oct 13, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> * generally faster than Web apps
> * not dependent upon a reasonably fast Internet connection
> * not dependent on a server "out there somewhere" being up and
> running and not overloaded
> * better looking with better user experiences (at least potentially)
> * easier to protect against unauthorized use
> * able to read and write data to and from the user's local drive
> (which neither Laszlo nor AJAX can do, being confined in a security
> sandbox)

Dan,

In your list I would elaborate a bit on your last point.  One major
benefit of a web connected desktop app is the ability to have content
installed on the computer.  With a web enabled app you can update
that content when a web connection is available.

My company develops e-learning software that runs inside a Rev
desktop app.  The full app (all media) can be installed from a CD-ROM
or the app shell (no media) can be downloaded from the internet.  The
application can then gradually install media as the user views
content or receive updates to the elearning materials (database and
media files) over the internet.  What clients love is that once the
user disconnects from the web they can still use their learning
materials.
We cater to the medical industry where internet connections are not
always available in offices or out in the field so this is a must.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com