Browser Fields

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 13 16:48:48 EDT 2005

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

>As for incremental searches, it's just a look searching the next word and
>adding the findings to the
>results list. Isn't it? Let me know if you can't see how it's done...

Yes and no.

>Please explain in what way it is incremental? search words, searching
>targets?...

I understand "incremental search" to mean that the searching (and
display) happens in real time as I type the search string. So as soon as
I hit "a" it highlights the first (occurrence of an "a"), then when I
type "l" it highlights the first occurrence of "al", etc. Examples
include emacs (gets it right), Firefox on-page search (gets it wrong,
IMO, by not rewinding the search properly if I use backspace to remove
parts of the search string), and others. This avoids the problem of
having to guess how much of a string is needed to make it relatively unique.

I especially like the fact that in Emacs you can tell it (ctrl-w) to
take the rest of the currently found word, and move that into the search
string - this is a big help when searching for calls to functions from a
library, for instance.

And no, I have never written one in Transcript, but often meant to, so I
might just have a play with it now ....