num of bgs versus num of grps

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Wed Oct 12 19:27:35 EDT 2005

This reply is incomplete and may not solve anything, but here's my basic
starting point for keeping it straight mentally:

A basic difference between calling one of those collection objects a
'group' or a 'background' is SCOPE OF REFERENCE.

- When I talk about a 'background', I'm speaking in stack-level terms.

- When I talk about a 'group', I'm speaking in card-level terms.

This 'scope of reference' thing is [sort of] reflected in the counts
you're getting.

That's where I start in my thinking about them. From there I start
applying qualifications until distinctions become really muddy.

Phil Davis