automated testing tools (slightly OT)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Oct 12 14:44:39 EDT 2005

Hi Chris,

>I'm wanting to find out
>if any of you are using any type of automated testing tools with
>Revolution.

When testing SDB for logic errors, memory leaks, and multi-user
performance, I wrote a stack that automated testing by sending database
commands in random order and maintaining a log of the type & results of the
last 40 iterations.

The testing stack (or standalone) was run 24 hours+ in single user mode,
then 24 hours+ in client/server - single client mode, and finally for 72
hours in client/server - multi-client mode.  This automated testing
disclosed a bug in one command that would   create a machine state that
would cause a different command to fail the next time it was
called--regardless of how many other commands were called in the
meantime.  This might have taken forever to find in manual testing and
real-world use.

And at the same time it was testing the server-side logic as well.

I'd be interested in what Jacque Gay might have to say on the subject.  I
recall a very interesting conversation we had at a Macworld regarding the
work she did for Apple to automate HyperCard testing.

Rob Cozens, CCW
Serendipity Software Company

Vive R Revolution!