automated testing tools (slightly OT)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Oct 12 14:41:02 EDT 2005

Chris-

Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 10:07:26 AM, you wrote:

> This is probably a little bit off topic, but I'm wanting to find out
> if any of you are using any type of automated testing tools with
> Revolution.  I'm thinking something like scripts or whatever that
> will perform tasks that your end-users would perform.  Does anything
> like that exist that can be used Revolution-built apps?

Well, the big dogs in the Windows world won't work here. I tried both
WinRunner and SilkTest and they both have the same results: since
runrev doesn't use "standard" OS controls, all you can see is a single
window with essentially a bitmap. You can send mouseclicks to a given
location, but can't see any results. I haven't tried Eggplant on the
OSX end of things, but I expect the same. I've been working on a QA
automation tool for stacks, but it's a background task and requires
quite a bit of stack introspection. I *do* have a jUnit-style unit
testing framework together and expect to get that out the door Real
Soon Now.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net