QT version on Windows

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Oct 11 04:23:24 EDT 2005

Hi Sims,

Besides my previous tip, here's another...

My quicktime app is never installed in C:\program files....!!!

To find where, look first at...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\quicktime\shell\open\command

And there's another key that's interesting for you - but it's not reliable
(no xvid or divx which i have installed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\QuickTime.aif  -- the AIF is the
interesting bit which are the file types QT handles...

And there's a key in the registry that gives you also the installed
codecs...
NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc
or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
but with this last one, unfortunately, you can't list the subkeys in a
registry branch...

And i couldn't find any utility that could list the existing codecs. GSpot
(free) tells you if you have the codec or not or what codec you need to
play a file
but it's not exactly script friendly... I'll see if i find a vbs trick
later...

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 11/10/2005 09:43:29:

> At 1:07 AM -0500 10/11/05, Ken Ray wrote:
> >On 10/10/05 9:13 AM, "sims" <sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
> >
> >>  Anyone know how to check for the QuickTime version on a Windows
machine
> >>  without using QTVersion?
> >
> >Well, you can find it in the WIndows registry at:
> >
> >   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\Version
> >
> >But it is in binary; I've tried many forms of binaryDecode() and can't
seem
> >to be able to extract it. Anyone else want to give it a go?
>
> Thanks for the attempt Ken.
>
> My videos are either QT 7 H.264 or wmv files, so I need to assign one
> or the other
> (the QT 7 H.264 are outstanding and much smaller in size)
>
> So, for now I've resorted to the following:
>
> set the defaultFolder to "C:/Program Files/QuickTime/QTSystem"
> put the files into tData
> if "H264" is in tData then doStuff
>
> If   H264 is not there I give them the wmv version.
>
> It does seem a bit strange to have to load QT (QTVersions) in order
> to see what
> version it is! Once you do that you are stuck!
>
> Any comments on my hack of a work around are most appreciated.
>
> ciao,
> sims

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER