QT version on Windows

sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Tue Oct 11 03:43:29 EDT 2005

At 1:07 AM -0500 10/11/05, Ken Ray wrote:
>On 10/10/05 9:13 AM, "sims" <sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
>
>>  Anyone know how to check for the QuickTime version on a Windows machine
>>  without using QTVersion?
>
>Well, you can find it in the WIndows registry at:
>
>   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\Version
>
>But it is in binary; I've tried many forms of binaryDecode() and can't seem
>to be able to extract it. Anyone else want to give it a go?

Thanks for the attempt Ken.

My videos are either QT 7 H.264 or wmv files, so I need to assign one
or the other
(the QT 7 H.264 are outstanding and much smaller in size)

So, for now I've resorted to the following:

set the defaultFolder to "C:/Program Files/QuickTime/QTSystem"
put the files into tData
if "H264" is in tData then doStuff

If   H264 is not there I give them the wmv version.

It does seem a bit strange to have to load QT (QTVersions) in order to see what
version it is! Once you do that you are stuck!

Any comments on my hack of a work around are most appreciated.

ciao,
sims