Removing text from a string

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sun Oct 9 22:03:13 EDT 2005

At 2:23 AM +0100 10/10/2005, Ian Leigh wrote:
>I have a list of filenames which are displayed in a list field. When
>clicked on the name of the selected file appears in a label but I
>don't want the extension displayed. I have looked at the docs but
>can't see a simple way of doing it!

This will do it:

   set the itemDelimiter to "."
   put item 1 to -2 of the selectedText into field "Label"

(If you're certain the filename itself doesn't contain any periods,
you can substitute
   put item 1 of the selectedText into field "Label"
for the second line. If you're working exclusively for Windows, you
can make this simplifying assumption, but not for Mac OS, OS X, or
Unix.)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com