destroyStack, was: Stack Switching Question

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Oct 6 09:45:27 EDT 2005

>Jeanne,
>It got 5 of my votes as well.
>But I think there is more confusion here.
>  I believe Open Stack and Close Stack should be symmetrical. In
>other words, Close Stack should reverse the results of Open Stack.
>Open Stack 1. loads the stack into memory, 2. makes the stack
>visible on the screen, and 3. locks other users out of the stack.
>Close Stack should (in opposite order) 1. release the stack to the
>next user, 2. remove the stack image from the screen, and 3. purge
>the stack from memory. Close Stack should always purge, there should
>be no "destroyStack" or "purgeOnClose" option. This would be
>logical, elegant, consistent, predictable, simpler, and visible (you
>would not end up with hidden stacks in memory that you didn't know
>were there).
>  In addition to a Purge, or Purge Main Stack command, I'd like to
>see a Load Stack command - symmetrical with purge. "Load" is short,
>describes the operation, and is already used by Transcript for URLs.
>Load Stack would place a copy of a stack in memory (without opening
>it), Purge Main Stack would remove it.
>  I believe stacks should only be put into memory by opening or
>consistent, predictable, simpler, and visible. There is not (and
>should not be) a Dereference command! By being forced to load stacks
>before working on them we will always be reminded to purge them and
>we will not have stacks in memory which we put there unaware.
>Let's bury "destroyStack" permanently.
>Paul Looney

Sounds good to me, Paul, but you need to accommodate closing stack
window as opposed to closing stack. We have now:

close with destroyStack off = close stack window
close with destroyStack on = close stack window, remove stack from memory

We still need to be able to do the former. Hide stack comes to mind
as a solution, of course, but making a stack as invisible is now
subtly different than closing it without removal from memory.

Robert Brenstein