Speed optimisation

Rob Beynon r.beynon at liv.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 02:58:40 EDT 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I have a function that takes a time in this format

hh:mm:ss.s

and to which I add a variable number of seconds, then output the
updated time in the same format. hh can be greater than 24!

Here's the function. Problem is, it seems slow (I need to do this call
about 150,000 times each file I process). I would appreciate any
insights into making this function faster

function newTime oldTime,addedSec
    put the replacetext(oldTime,":"," ") into splitTime
    put the first word of splitTime into h
    put the second word of splitTime into m
    put the third word of splitTime into s
    put s + addedSec into newSec
    put newSec mod 60 into remainSec
    put (newsec-remainSec)/60 into addedMin
    put m + addedMin into newMin
    put newMin mod 60 into remainMin
    put (newMin-remainMin)/60 into addedHr
    put h + addedHr into newHr
    if length(remainSec) = 1 then put "0" & remainSec into remainSec
    if length(remainMin) = 1 then put "0" & remainMin into remainMin
    if length(newHr) = 1 then put "0" & newHr into newHr
    put newHr & ":" & remainMin & ":" & remainSec into newTime
    return newTime
end newTime

--
All best wishes,