Looking for Implementation Advice

Mike Doub Mike at Doub.com
Tue Oct 4 06:24:13 EDT 2005

Hello List,

I am looking for implementation advice on how best to solve a problem
displaying a graphical representation of a matrix of data.

I have a variable that is set up with each line representing a row of
information, and each item of the line a value.  There are a variable number
of lines and values.  I typically expect about 50 lines and 24 values.

Something like this (as you can see I am thinking of using arrays with split
and combine):

Label1|0,0,1,3,5,6...
Label2|1,4,6,7,2,0...
Label3|5,4,4,3,-1,1...
.
.
.

The graphic that I was envisioning was a group of small squares that would
contain colors, green for 0 and higher, orange for -1, red for -2 add below.
The label would be next to each row of boxes.  I would also like the user to
be able to hover over one of the boxes and be able to see the actual value.

I have multiple data sets to be displayed. Initially I was thinking that I
would have one of this graphic per card, but having this as part of a
scrolling field would be nice.  Anyway let's keep it simple and just assume
that it will be on each card.

I am a bit stumped at how to:
1) Build this graphical thing dynamically to accommodate difference numbers
of rows and columns
2) How to connect the appearance of each box to the data, both to set the
color and to get the hovering effect.

I am totally open to suggestions at this point in how to better layout the
data and to build this graphical control.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in a direction.

Regards,
   Mike