Machine network names

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 3 19:00:33 EDT 2005

I want to know the network name of a remote machine on a network. For a
local machine, I can get "the address" and the first part of the address
is the name I'm looking for.  But on a remote, mounted volume "the
address" doesn't include its machine name. Any ideas? I only need this
for Mac OS X, but it has to work for all but the earliest versions of OS X.

If I can't easily get the network name, then any unique identifying info
would do. I considered getting the machine ID using Ken Ray's
"stsGetSerialNumber" handler, but it only returns the serial numbers of
local hard drives.

The only requirements are: it has to be a unique identifier, and it has
to be obtainable both remotely and locally.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com