Ontology manager, nifty palettes added to the education gallery

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Sun Oct 2 07:25:02 EDT 2005

Dear Dick,

> Is the ontology manager called "rdf view" at lexicall.org?
>
> I tried to download "rdf view" but got a 404:
> "The requested URL /stacks/education/tools_plugins/rdf_view.rev was
> not
> found on this server."

Thanks for letting me know... I uploaded, tested, changed the name,
uploaded again... and forgot to change the metadata information. This
is fixed now.

> I'm interested in a Revolution-OWL interface.  What do you foresee
> there?

I have just created an ontology project at eduforge (http://
eduforge.org). If you would like to collaborate, easiest is to
register at eduforge, and then register for the ontology project
(called ontoman) as soon as it is approved. I will keep you informed.

This is the very first version and I extensively rewrote the code
from the previous tree-view stack (for the better). It will take a
week or so to discover small bugs I have missed out. A stable version
should be there in about a month time.

I will also work on export/import to OWL and RDF. For this, I will
check up the source of the cobra application (COBrA Ontology Browser
for Anatomy Mac OS X version 1.0 version 1.0): http://
www.inf.ed.ac.uk/research/isdd/admin/package?download=17, for tricks.

Ideal would be to be able to transfer to a graphical representation
and to let the user manipulate both. I just downloaded a few open
source projects of concept map software, like this ideapad for Palm
(http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/ideapad.shtml). Not many are
open source though.

The alternative is to import to a fully fledge application that does
graphic: http://www.mindgenius.com/ (paying but I have a free license
with my uni), myMind (free) http://www.futurosity.com/243/mymind-13-
outlining-and-mind-mapping-tool. The OPML export now works fine with
these other software.

Then, ontologies are things on which it is necessary to work
collaboratively (there is no use to produce an ontology nobody else
agree on or to have everyone using its very own ontology). I should
therefore be possible to work remotely on the ontology tree.

If you have other ideas, let me know,
Marielle

Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk