More newbie problems

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 30 11:16:48 EST 2005

Hi,

I know exacctly what you are feeling - I had the same experience
about 18 months ago! Here's what I have found is the best way to do
this - at least for me!

Instead of using the MainStack/Substacks all in one file approach,
I've found is it better to made each Main Window (either real or
dummy) a stack in it's own right. In my system I have a folder
structure as so:

...BaseFolder/ProjectName/StartUp.rev  <-- Just contains a splash
screen, you don't have to do anything here if you dont want to, it's
really just a place holder to build a Standalone App from.

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/GlobalStack.rev  <-- is a
Dummy (invisible stack) that just holds functions that can be used by
any other stack or project - a UtilityStack if you like.

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/MainMenu.rev   <-- Holds the
Default Menu Bar for the App

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/AppMain.rev      <-- This is
your Main App window (if you have one)

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/AppPrefs.rev     <--
Preferences Window for the App

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/AppAbout.rev     <-- About
Box for the App

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Stacks/Whatever.rev    <-- Any other
windows you need in your App

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Images/AppSplashScreen.jpg  <-- Put
any images you need in here

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Externals/
<-- Put the External Commands for the App here

..BaseFolder/ProjectName/Runtime/Resources
<-- Put Language Localization files here

I find this arrangement much better for the following reasons:

1.  If a Stack gets corrupted, you only lose that stack, not everything!!!

2.  Much easier to Manage in Terms of Source Code

3.  Much more flexible since you can just drop a new .rev file with
the same name into the stacks folder and change the behavour of that
window.

4.  You can change the order of the linkage really easily.

5.  You can Reuse Stacks/Windows in other Projects/Applications much
more easily.

I have also implemented a fairly loose framework which makes it much
easier to build a new window/stack and it debug existing windows.

If you have questions about the above or would like to know more
about how I go about bulding a new App in RunRev, I would be happy to
share what I have learned, just drop me a private email and we can
take it from there.

All the Best
Dave