Transparency and PNG format

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 30 09:57:48 EST 2005

Graham,

PNGs support transparency as well as not. They are IMO the best for
lossless compression. GIFs are good for animation.

I use PNGs all of the time. I use Photoshop (not elements) and when I
save a png I delete my background and make sure the BG is transparent
(with little checker boxes in PS) But If I 'flatten' the image it
takes away the transparency and instead if I flatten visible layers
(Do not include the BG) then delete the BG it always works perfectly.
That is the way I do it. I am not sure about GC since I don't use
that anymore.

This is not a limitation but rather a feature of PNGs that you can do
both. Rev respects which ever way you saved the file.

Tom