Constant 'Nonsense' about RR documentation

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Wed Nov 30 09:14:35 EST 2005

I am not so psychologically naive to believe that everybody
will learn xTalk the way I did - and will not have the
luxury of very well paid half-time jobs so that they have
the time to devote to learning it the way I have done.

It is indeed true that the RR documentation is not
comparable with all the books on the market for (say)
flipping Visual Basic (for 'flipping' insert your favourite
B-word). Arguably some programming RADs are almost
over-documented.

An erstwhile employer bought me the printed version of the
RR 1.1.1 documentation - before either he or I had realised
that it was JUST a printout of the online docs.

Maybe I am the one that is naive - but when I was in
Illinois and unpacked my Mac LC III from Montgomery Ward is
contained Hypercard (and no manual) and I just dived on in
and got on with it: after all, it was such a breathe of
fresh air after all those command-line fossils - and the
GUI - well . . .  It seemed at the time (and, I suppose it
should still) that the underlying ZEITGEIST of Hypercard
(read RR/MC) was that a manual should not be necessary.

If somebody really feels a desperate urge (oh, dear) for an
entry-level book and is prepared to sponsor me to the tune
of some appropriate figure for a year I could probably
"knock one together". However, "knock one together" is
exactly what I would do (maybe I shouldn't give away trade
secrets ???) by plundering Danny Goodman's Hypercard book,
the RR online documentation and a fairly goofy 'Intro to
VB' book I, unfortunately was required to buy as part of my
joke MSc course. The other limiting factor about any
'text-book' I wrote on RR/MC would be that it would,
obviously, reflect my approach to programming, which might
not be to very many people's tastes.

Don't all rush at once to pay me good money for a patchwork
quilt!

I have not seen Dan Shafer's book; but if his sense of
humour is anything to go on I would try that one first.

I would also suggest that any would-be users of RR go round
to their local library (in English-speaking countries) and
borrow Goodman's book - a bit over-prolix for my taste -
but good for dipping into and getting the feel of what
Hypercard WAS, and what RR is MORE THAN.

Ultimately my feeling is that RR/MC is now something that
has 2 levels:

1. the heir of Hypercard: an approachable, Object-based RAD
for the 'Home and Teacher' crowd.

2. a sophisticated programming language that is in the
process of getting a long way away from Hypercard.

If this is true (waiting for feedback, abuse, so on - Take
the Hint) there certainly is a need for an in-depth book
for #2 - and, just possibly, a 'Content Delivery and
Reinforcement Programming' book for #1. I, personally have
my doubts about whether #1 would sell.

sincerely, Richmond

See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html