Constant 'Nonsense' about RR documentation

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Nov 30 09:21:01 EST 2005

David Burgun wrote:

> This is from the Answer command:
>
> The prompt is a string (or any expression that evaluates to a string).
> The dialog box expands if necessary to fit the contents.
>
> This just doesn't happen, in many cases it just gets chopped off. There
> are other instances, but I really can't be bothered to find them right now.

> RunRev is different in this respect and many times no one seems to
> actually know what is *supposed* to happen and I get a number of work
> arounds to a problem (from this list mainly) that may or may not work in
> all situations.
>
> The
> thing is that in the case of the answer dialog it has been known about
> for a long time it seems. We have just had a new release of RunRev but
> the documentation was not changed. This is the problem, not that there
> are errors in the docs, just that they are not fixed or updated promptly
> either to make the code match the docs or the docs match the code.

David,

As I mentioned earlier, prior to 2.6 the dialog box *did* expand both
it's width and height as it says in the docs. But for HIG compliance
reasons, RR decided to limit the dialog box to expand a maximum fixed
width and thus introduced the bug you have discovered. In fact the basic
dialog box still does expand it's height to fit the contents (up to a
point, then it creates a scrolling field), so the docs are correct in
that instance.

Simply applying my patch will fix the problem you encountered. I'm sure
the patch will be included in the next rev of Rev.

I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you. Come to think of it, it was
somewhat frustrating for me a few years back when I started. I spent a
lot of time reading the list archives, and purchased all the docs
available and read them. Still, it _was easier_ than learning ASP, ADO,
SQL, ODBC, VBscript, PHP, stored procedures, Javascript, DHTML and the
host of other technologies one has to wade through to just put up a
simple web app.

-Chipp