Transparency and PNG format

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 29 17:05:09 EST 2005

Folks, I've got a number of small GIFs in an app, representing human
figures - therefore not rectangular. I managed to give each one a
transparent background and RR honours this when I import the GIFs as
images (i.e. the background information on the card shows up around
the shape of the figure).

I've now started to using PNGs rather than GIFS, and I can give them
transparent backgrounds in exactly the same way as the GIFs
(GraphicConverter on the Mac is really good for this - a lot simpler
than Photoshop Elements... but I digress). However when I import a
PNG as an image, the transparency disappears and the figure therefore
appears in a white rectangle. I can fix this with inks, but only on
the Mac, and this app is destined for PC users mostly.

I've looked at the docs, but I can't see a way of telling RR to use
the transparency in a PNG. I see a bit about Alpha Channels, but I
don't know if I'm using an Alpha Channel or not, and anyway I can't
understand how RR deals with them. I can of course convert all my
PNGs to GIFs, but is this the only solution? (This leads me to ask if
is there any disadvantage to using GIFs over PNGs - I kind of thought
there was, but I'm no longer sure why).

Can anyone clarify this for me?

TIA

Graham