AW: Following this List

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Nov 28 19:05:48 EST 2005

I have always resisted the idea of sub-dividing this list for a
number of reasons. But as Rev gets more popular, as this list grows
in population and as people like me continue to see this list as a
place to discuss topics that are arguably semi-tangential, perhaps
some reorganization would help.

I generally try to put a [OT] in front of the subject line when I
post something that's even possibly marginally off-topic. You can use
your email app's filter functions to bury those kinds of
conversations before they hit your In Box. I've been involved in some
lists where the user community simply adopted a convention like that
so that categorizing messages was up to the individual who initiates
a thread. Such systems work OK but not perfectly because newbies
don't always get the clue right away and because some posts are hard
to categorize.

Using an email app that lets you view emails by threads can go a long
way toward relieving the glut, BTW. Combining that tactic with
filtering can significantly reduce the number of emails that you
actually have to read.