Need help opening a Macintosh Hypercard addess stack on a Windows PC with revolution

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Nov 28 11:02:38 EST 2005

On 11/28/05 9:36 AM, "Bill" <bill at bluewatermaritime.com> wrote:

> Debbie:
>> I downloaded Revolution because i was told it would be able to open my
>> Macintosh formatted hypercard address stack on  my Windows PC. I tried
>> to open the stack using the File open stack command, but it did not see
>> the stack in that window, so i changed the view to all files. Then it
>> saw the stack, but when it tried to open it, i got a bunch of errors.
>
> I'm sure everyone on the list thought someone else would answer your email.
> I am on a Mac platform and only use windows in an emulator but I think I can
> answer your question. I believe you need to send that hypercard stack to
> someone who has runrev on a mac platform and have them convert it to runrev
> first before you can access it with your windows version of runrev. I don't
> think the windows version can open a hypercard stack directly.

Actually, it can (as Debbie mentioned in her post), but I think the errors
you're getting are script errors related to unsupported HyperTalk that is
trying to be executed. Keep in mind that although the *file format* of a
HyperCard stack and be translated to a Revolution *file format*, the scripts
need to be hand-tweaked to work in Rev. For example, if you do "addColor" in
HyperCard, Rev has no idea what that means and will throw an error.

I would suggest locking messages (click the Messages icon with the lock in
the toolbar) and *then* open your HC stack. It should open without running
any of the code. You can then adjust the scripts of your converted stack so
that you stop getting script errors.

The Revolution extension is .rev, but that will only keep you from having to
choose "all files" to see the HC stack; it doesn't affect how Rev actually
converts and runs the HC stack.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/