[OT] Handling Returned Virus Mail

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Nov 27 05:15:51 EST 2005

Recently,Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> While I haven't experienced this at your level (yet), I have
> encountered it. The key seems to be filtering on the addressee. Emails
> to you are addressed to you specifically and presumably others in your
> organisation are the same. In my experience, these returned spam
> emails are addresses to unknown people at your domain. If you have
> filters that trash or re-direct anything that isn't going to a known
> email address, then you will probably catch most of these.

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, the emails use legitimate
addresses which makes them harder to filter.  Plus I am subjected to the
repeated "Your domain has been blacklisted due to bla bla bla...",
illustrating the uselessness of commercial white/black lists -- eventually
the entire user base of the Internet will be banned.

[sigh] Even with filters and spam blockers and rules, these all address the
symptoms, not the source of the problem. Somebody somewhere needs to do
something about this.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director