Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sun Nov 27 01:50:27 EST 2005

Richard....

On Nov 26, 2005, at 1:06 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Pros need pro tools, and even hobbysts aspire to professional-
> looking results.  A strategy that appeals to the high end will
> appeal to both.

Ultimately, that's probably true. It's another way of saying
Inventive Users eventually become more like pros. But Inventive Users
(hobbyists in your parlance) need hand-holding of a different type
and depth at the beginning of their experience with Rev and that's
where the problems arise.

> To the degree this is a result of focusing on the pro product maybe
> that's not so bad.  My perspective is admittedly skewed, being
> dependent on the pro product to manage the three businesses in
> which I'm CTO:  I'd hate to see any slowdown of bug fixes or
> feature enhancements in the engine to make a prettier entry-level
> tool.

And you just put your finger on another problem for RunRev, didn't
you? :-)

I maintain that without a significant improvement in the out-of-the-
box experience for DC, the company will never reach broad enough
appeal to reach critical mass among the Inventive User marketplace.
But it's clear to both of us that if they divert resources to that
task, development of the pro version will undoubtedly suffer at least
delays. That's precisely the trade-off that they will ultimately have
to make.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html