Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Nov 26 15:04:40 EST 2005

Frank.....

Can you give us an example or two of where this pricing is common
among development tools? I see feature-crippled and time-limited
evaluation licensing all the time, but I can't honestly think of a
single development tool that has a free learning edition that you
upgrade to so you can deploy apps.

Also, with an environment like Rev, the distinction between "deploy
as a standalone" and "deploy as a stack" is badly blurred by the fact
that: (a) anyone with a RunRev tool (and in your scenario that would
include anyone who wanted to download it) can run any stack anyone
else creates, at least conceptually; and (b) there are at least two
free players available that would allow the owner of a 0-cost
"learning edition" to distribute (and presumably therefore sell)
products that run in either the IDE or the players without paying a
dime for the tool. That is a good way to sink the tool company.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html