Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Frank R frny4x at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 05:35:55 EST 2005

I didn't mean charging per-copy distribution fees.  I completely agree those
  schemes are not well received.

  All I meant was:
  - 0 to develop inside the IDE, without the ability to deploy anything
  - X to deploy anything, where X is the same number whether you deploy
    1 or a million apps, to one customer or a million customers.

  This type of Learning Edition pricing is actually common - and well received.

Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com> wrote:
  Frank....

Not one major development tool has ever succeeded charging for
runtime delivery. Not one. You buy a C++ compiler, you don't pay the
compiler maker for each copy of your app. Companies that have tried
runtime royalty deals over the years -- and there have been many,
with a staggering array of ideas for the best way to structure the
fees -- have abandoned their plan or gone out of business or both.

And with so many free (open source and otherwise) compilers and IDEs
out there, it would be suicide for anyone to try to charge per-copy
distribution fees in today's market.