Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Preston Shea darkshadow1 at metrocast.net
Sat Nov 26 03:04:24 EST 2005

The efficiency of the PC (oops! er, Mac) is practically without precedent since the days of the first chipped-flint hand axe, so it is hard to get a handle on what something like Revolution is "worth." It feels to me that it is worth at least as much as the modest computer on which I run it. Together, the package can be had for under a grand and - given talent and luck - can be used to support a family. In the old days, a milk cow was the comparable capital investment, today perhaps a studio-quality musical instrument. I can't afford the MacroMedia packages, but I think they are more than "worth it" for someone like my son-in-law, who makes a very good living with them. Revolution is the Japanese motorcycle of development tools. I look out my window at the guys in pickup trucks trying to make a living plowing snow and pounding nails. A thousand bucks to set up your own contracting business? You gotta be kidding!