Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 02:28:51 EST 2005

> With no formal programming experience and no Hypercard background its
> been slow going for me. As a technologist I am very comfortable using
> computers, I can make servers bend to my will for most functions, but
> when it comes to creating something from nothing I am stifled.  I
> feel like I cannot get off the ground floor with anything -
> Applescript, PERL, bash, Revolution,  and I think the reason is
> because I'm rushing it.

My advice would be to find a SIMPLE project that you can see some
value in but that is not too demanding. Write it and then start to
improve it.

Some people like to work by laying out the interface completely before
starting any scripting. I tend to work by adding a few controls,
scripting them and then adding more. It just depends which makes you
feel more comfortable.

For example, a lot of people start with a simple address book. Just
write a stack with one entry per card that stores names and addresses.
Then add a search routine. Next add reporting, so you can print a list
of phone numbers. Then perhaps you want to be able to click a button
and email a person in your list. If your database is getting big, you
may want to explore different data storage mechanisms, perhaps even
going to an external database like Valentina or MySQL. Now work out
how to make it into a standalone.

If you work your way through this progression, I am sure you will have
a much better understanding of Rev's and your capabilities. Then you
might want to go on to something more complex e.g. heavy database
management, or some utility to integrate with your servers.

Don't start off trying to integrate a multi-user external database
with TCP sockets and C++ externals. All those things can be done, but
they are not easy. Your need to get to know how Rev works normally:
stacks cards, button, fields - basic stuff - before you start to work
with the more esoteric parts of the system.

As a starting point, I highly recommend that you have a look at the
Scripting conference stacks. They start with very basic stuff and
build on that. And remember, there are a lot of very experienced
people on this list, so no matter what problems you encounter, ask and
someone will be sure to help.

HTH,
Sarah