Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Nov 25 23:27:04 EST 2005

Good points, Richard.
On Nov 25, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Personally, I think Rev is priced too low.

I can't say I disagree.

Back in the 80's -- I know, that's SO last century! -- there were two
Smalltalks on the market. Digitalk sold for something like $99.
ParcPlace Systems Smalltalk-80 sold for something like $1,000. While
there were lots of differences between them, it was entirely possible
to build most kinds of apps with the lower-priced product. I asked
PPS founder Adele Goldberg one day how come she didn't lower her
prices to compete for the broader market with Digitalk. I'll never
forget her answer. "People who pay $99 for a development tool expect
to learn it in a few hours, master it in a few days and hound tech
support unmercifully at no cost. People who pay $1,000 for a
development tool take it and their work seriously, understand that it
requires a significant effort to learn and master, and are not only
willing to pay for support, they are eager to do so because they
don't want the company that makes their favorite tool to go out of
business." She allowed as how she'd rather have far fewer customers
who were professional not only in their work but in their attitude
than 1 million hobbyists.

In some ways, this discussion is just a rehash of the old battle over
who the market for Revolution is or ought to be: professional coders
or hobbyists. I know RunRev disagrees with me -- and so do many of
you on this list -- but I maintain you cannot adequately serve both
markets.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html