Near completion of Color Pattern Toolkit: IDE, engine, and font problems (part two)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Nov 25 11:10:14 EST 2005


On Fri, 25 Nov ,"MisterX" <monsieurx at monsieurx.com> wrote:

> Wilhelm
>
> i tried your stack. After each redraw it is 2X slower. When i tried to see
> why, MC started showing really weird artifacts, menus bars gone wrong, etc
> and then it crashed. (glad it was the only stack opened at the time).
> (snip)
> There IS a memory leak
> (engine 2.6.6) and further another problem with the redraw of the window
> in XP thereafter. Each iteration doubles the time it takes... After that,
> MC was running on mollases (despite your stack closed)
> (snip)
> But the leak is well in the engine.
> (snip)
> One suggestion is to use "graphics" instead of fields. MoireX did that and
> i dont think there was as much overhead...
>
> Cheers
> Xavier
> -- http://monsieurx.com/taoo



Xavier,

Thanks for the confirmation of my findings.

I just used fields as color units because that old stack of mine had them.
I do not think (did not try yet) that graphics would make a difference.

As I mentioned in the first part of my report (about IDE problems of Nov 
22) the present version of the toolkit uses only *one* single field now, 
but with 19.800 color chars in it, which for a "text" really  is not 
much. Thus we have about 20.000 fields less.

The engine leak is there as before. Scanning an 100X100 area of the 
image thumb brings down my computer immediately.

Cheers,

Wilhelm

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>





More information about the Use-livecode mailing list