Recent anger - and new guy here

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 24 17:39:04 EST 2005

>Ok, with the recent anger expressed, and with me being a new guy on the block,
>   let me ask some questions:
>
>   - What's the size of the company behind this product?  You don't
>have to give precise numbers, but somebody must know if this company
>is - a thousand people - doubt it, a hundred people - still probably
>doubt it, at least dozens of people - probably, and I hope, or one
>or two people - I don't hope this is the case.

I'd guess at dozens.

>   - What are the support options?  Do we get 100% of support via the
>dialog in this forum, or is there a way to contact a tech support
>team at the company and occasionally get a good answer?

Check the web site, there are different packages, the basic studio
version there is no support included, you can pay for tecch support
indcidents at around £75 PH I think, but again check the web site.
The enterprize edition comes with some support I think.

>   - What's the frequency of the release of minor levels and major
>levels of the software?

Minor levels don't seem to be announced, you have to download the
package and check the build number. More major updates are announced
and I reckon since I've been using it there are around 3 per year.

>   - Are people out there making a livelihood using this product
>nearly exclusively, or is this rare to nonexistent?

Yes, I am using it to develop applications that will be sold. It
makes solid good applications - once you get over the silly bugs that
just don't seem to go away. Having said that, I have not found a
situation that I have not been able to work around, and this list is
just GREAT. Actually, without it, I think RunRev would just die.

>   Thanks.
>   [I'm a long time developer, and I have used Many tools and
>languages, and while this thing doesn't look like the tool for All
>jobs, it does look like The Tool for some jobs.
>   So, I start out my journey here enthusiastically until someone
>tells me otherwise.]

I decided to rant today to let off some steam. The problem is that
you get SOOOOOOO much done so quickly that when you hit one these
"silly" problems it is amplified. What I mean is that I coded a
whole, fairly complex window with loads of controls and images in
about 2.5 days. I then spent most of a day trying to fathom a bug in
the RunRev system, the bug is probably else where from the menu
system and caused a corruption.

I have not found a task that you cannot do with RunRev, you may need
to develop some external commands written in C/C++, but I would say
designing and implenting a GUI is FAR faster than any other
environment I have used (and I've been in software development for
over 25 years, the last 12 on Mac with some Windows).

The thing I am moaning about really is that the documentation is
really poor and there are some really silly bugs that just don't seem
to get fixed, but at the same time there are more new features added.

Part of the problem is that the IDE is also written in RunRev so
intreraction between (perhaps buggy) scripts and the development
system occur.

I really would like them to just do a bug fix/IDE enhancement
release, in fact I think it is NEEDED if RunRev is going to grow to
any size, and I sincerly hope it does, it is a REAL pleasure to build
an Application in RunRev and it really is a fantastic product. it's
how I've always imagined it should be, since the first time I really
understood OOP and GUI's!

Hope this helps
All the Best
Dave