Spelling out the license - protesting too much

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Nov 23 23:01:19 EST 2005

Hi David,

David Bovill wrote:

> (Chipp your reply was a little loaded)

Here's my reading of your first post on this subject: (paraphrased based
upon your license notification).

"Here's some code I wrote for you to look at-- if you're absolutely
_NEVER_ planning on using it for any type of commercial gain, IOW, in
your corporation, or another application, or even in a free application
which you may at some later time charge a nickel for, then _DON'T USE IT
UNLESS YOU WANT TO NEGOTIATE PAYMENT WITH ME!_"

Yeah, I guess I do take a bit of exception to that type of 'sharing' on
this list. Especially since others (including myself) have more than
contributed without asking for anything in return. Sean's excellent SMTP
library is an excellent example of sharing w/out expecting payback.

My suggestion is that if you're interested in selling your code to
commercial and professional developers, then a simple link to the
website where it resides should more than suffice. That's what we do
when we announce a new commercial product for sale for RR users.

Now, if that is not the intention of the license you indicated, then I'm
not reading it correctly. In anycase, your license restrictioned post
does seem a bit 'loaded' as well.

If your point was just to say that there are problems with sharing code
on lists w/out licenses, then perhaps it would be just easier to talk to
that point? Frankly, I think we've all been getting along quite well for
some time w/out having an EULA from RR or any other such requirements.

Finally, if my above interpretation of your first post is incorrect,
then please accept my apology.

best,

Chipp