Object Orientation in arrays

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Tue Nov 22 09:32:35 EST 2005

Here's yet another paper on the subject which im sure will interest even
Ruslan ;)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~sekar/application/sekar_intelligence.pdf

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 22/11/2005 15:30:09:

> On 11/22/05 3:55 PM, "David Bovill" <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> >> ---------
> >> FYI, we have realize that Valentina with its Object-Relational
> >> model is
> >> perfect for XML work. This have point one my friend, that is
> >> teacher in
> >> university. He say that we must add into Valentina support of
> >> XQuery, DOM,
> >> DAV, HTTP, ...
> >
> > So XQuery is an evolution of XPath? Always ahead of the game I see!
> >
> > Can I give you an example we are working on to see how Valentina
> > would fit into the picture - rhetorical :)
> >
> >      1) We have a bunch of interfaces that generate farily complex
> > XML documents to post to web services - person metadata, video clip
> > metadata and so forth.
> >
> >      2) These web services parse this data and store it in relational
> > databases (sorry postGres)
> >
> >      3) Other web services queerie the database and return XML
> >
> >      4) Custom fields are stored as XML in a generic record so that
> > we can extend easily by just adding interface elements on the clients
> > - for retireve and display purposes - later to be integrated into db
> > if required
> >
> >      5) Revolution based interfaces can generate and store XML
> > locally - batch uploading later and used as persistant off-line store.
> >
> > Now what would be nice is to use Valentina to store these local XML
> > structures in a flexible way (not just the relational model which is
> > hard to cusotmise). How would this marry to your comments on storing
> > XML in Valentina?
>
> Will be several ways to store and use XML documents.
> We only starting this work, so I cannot provide many exact info.
>
> > What would be nicer would be to be able to easily translate the local
> > Valentina model into a relational model for the online services - not
> > an option to use the Valentina Server at this stage.
>
> Oh, this is not easy task.
>
> Like ask to translate high-level Revolution script into C++ code,
>     or C++ into C
>     or C into assembler
>
> :-)
>
> > Finally as part of the MVC / Rails discussion this online database
> > would be able to generate much of the code stubs for an AJAX web
> > application.
> >
> > That is a flexible Rev / Valentina offline client would be able to
> > generate relational tables and therefore act as an Rails / Ajax
> > scaffold generator.
> >
> > What sort of flexibility would be possible in terms of storing and
> > retrieving relatively generic XML?
>
> A) you store XML as is into TEXT field. Valentina do self rest magic to
> effectively manage it
>
> B) you split XML document into Relational *or* Object-Relational
structure.

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology
> [...]

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER