Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Nov 21 14:33:20 EST 2005

Richard....

I know you know this, but just to keep the conversation clear, "open
source" doesn't mean "free of charge." Not  on any level.

A lot of open source software is available for free. Some isn't
(MySQL comes to mind immediately). But lots and lots of programmers
make lots and lots of money *using* open source and *that's*
generally the requirement governments are placing on these projects.
IOW, they don't insist the software they buy be free of charge, just
built on freely distributable bases.

Again, I know you know this, but I felt the urge to clarify. (Can't
help it. I'm a writer first.)