Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Nov 21 13:26:40 EST 2005

On 21 Nov 2005, at 19:20, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Mathewson wrote:
>
>> Now, maybe I'm wrong, but . . .
>> I believe that it is perfectly legal to download the
>> Metacard IDE, download a copy of DC/RR, and then transfer
>> the RR engine across to the Metacard IDE.
>>

> Correct. However, note that since your copy of the IDE won't be
> licensed, all your scripts will be limited to ten lines.

Unless you have a Rev license - then you have an open source IDE
built on top of a proprietary engine - similar to flash and not too
far even from Java where the developer has effectively no control of
the runtime bite-code compiler which is free but not open.

Java projects are generally thought of as pure open source - Rev
projects could be marketed in a very similar fashion. With Java you
often pay mucho for professional development environments - though
there are "free" open source versions available.