Cmd-A doesn't work from Keyboard in Standalone

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Nov 18 13:49:26 EST 2005

On 11/18/05 10:21 AM, "Charles Hartman" <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu>
wrote:

> Here's another experiment: Make a simple stack containing a scrolling
> list field and a button called "myCmdAbtn". The script for that button:
> on mouseUp
>    answer "myCmdAbtn got a press"
> end mouseUp
> The scrolling-list field's script:
> on commandKeyDown theKey
>    switch (theKey)
>    case "a"
>        pressTheKey
>        break
>    end switch
> end commandKeyDown
> The stack script:
> on commandKeyDown theKey
>    switch (theKey)
>    case "a"
>        send mouseUp to btn "myCmdAbtn"
>        break
>    end switch
> end commandKeyDown
>
> On my system, pressing cmd-A when the insertion point is not inside
> the field produces the 'answer' dialog, but pressing cmd-A when the
> insertion point is inside the field selects all the items (default
> 'Choice 1', 'Choice 2', 'Choice 3') in the field.
>
> This is why, to get a cmd-A from inside the field to "press the
> button", I found I had to put a rawKeyDown handler in the field's
> script, plus a (mostly redundant) commandKeyDown handler in the stack
> script in case the user happens to have clicked outside the field and
> so put the insertion point outside it.

Hmm... when I remove the script from the field (leaving only the script in
the stack and the script of the button), typing Cmd-A produces the answer
dialog regardless of whether the scrolling field has focus or not... does
this work differently for you?

> Am I missing something? Or is there a change between OS X versions?

Perhaps...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/