open with on windows does not work with rev. Heeeeeelp :-)

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Nov 16 21:00:17 EST 2005

Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>>So I doubleclicked on the plugin (has a .rev extension) and windows asked me
>>what application I wanted to use. Since rev was not in the list, I clicked
>>browse to go to the rev 2.6 folder and clicked on revolution.exe.
>>
>>I then clicked open and then OK. Oooooops. Windows XP did not recognise
>>revolution.exe and set all the files with a .rev extension to firefox. :-(
>>
>>I tried going to the individual properties and diong it that way but still
>>no luck. Windows does not recognise revolution as an app to associate
>>fieltypes with.
>>

>I can't help, but I can confirm this except that in my case, Windows
>insists on using WinRAR to boot my .rev stacks. When I choose "Open
>with..." I get a list that does not include Revolution, so I choose
>Browse and go and find the Revolution.exe. After finding it, it still
>doesn't appear in the list, so I can't select it and I can't tell
>Windows to use it for all .rev files.
>
>I assumed it was just me as I am not a Windows person, but maybe it is
>Rev. Should I try re-installing? I uninstalled WinRAR but that didn't
>help.

Click on "My Computer"
 From the menu, select Tools / Folder Options ...
Select the Tab "File Types"
Scroll down to find REV    (*)
Click on "Change ..." button
Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this file type"
If Rev Engine isn't in the list, use Browse to find it and select it.
Click OK

That should set it up so that all .rev files open with it.

(*) If REV isn't yet in the list of known extension types, then you
click on New and add the REV extension. You may choose to make it a
"file type" by clicking on Advanced - this gives you a drop-down list of
types. If Rev isn't in there (which it probably won't be), select
"<New>" and click "OK".  That dialog closes, the new file extension type
should be selected - and again there is an "Advanced" button available,
which you can use to specify icon, description, actions to be taken,
etc. as needed

I suspect if you don't do this - or don't do it right - you finish up
with the symptoms described above, where .rev files are associated with
another program such as Firefox. But I'm not willing to experiment in
case I mess up my system and can't put it back again.

Note that Rev Engine will still not (or may still not) appear in the
list of programs that appear when you do "Open with ..." - but hopefully
you won't need that after you've done the above steps.