The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Nov 16 18:30:21 EST 2005

On Nov 16, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Judy Perry wrote:

> Funny, we just talked about biometric stuff in class a couple of weeks
> back.
>
> Of course, one problem with things like thumb/face scans is that
> they can
> be cut off your body (happened to a guy whose MB got carjacked and
> which
> used biometrics for access).
>
> As for your face, well, there's a doctor somewhere in  Europe I
> think who
> will shortly (within a few years) attempt a facial transplant.
> Already
> done it with rats and the like.  I kid you not.

Under the heading of "I kid you not:" I once read on a web site
discussing biometric identification the following words (roughly).

      Of course, you may be thinking, "What happens if someone cuts
out my eye?"
      The answer to that is simple: our biometric devices are
designed to detect
      the pulse in the blood vessels as it scans them. If there is no
pulse, the
      scan will fail even if the pattern matches.

It makes sense after you get past the ewww part.