[offlist] Re: Unicode in Window Title?

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Tue Nov 15 23:22:13 EST 2005

Glad it worked for you, but I think we still need to be able to use
unicode in a more direct, natural way.

On Nov 16, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

>> In my Japanese/Chinese/Korean/English app, I have the user choose a
>> default language and work with it this way. Try it and let me know if
>> it works for Russian as well.
>
> Are you handling all of your text in Unicode in your app?  If so, did
> you just write your own handlers for dealing with chunk expressions
> (word, item, char, etc.)?

The short answer is that I'm still trying to find a satisfactory
solution.
Japanese and Chinese do not have word delimiters -
allthewordsruntogetherlikethis - so that particular problem is not a
unicode one. However, I have had to use a custom function that counts
lines because some of the Kanji chars actually use a return as part of
their encoding which leads to incorrect line counts.

As far as words go, the best I have done is unidecode the whole text
and then do chunk expressions and then reconvert and then if necessary
hilite the word by accounting for the different bytes per char.

Using a combination of singlebyte and unicode has some advantages and
some disadvantages. Using a comma for an itemdel takes away the
unidecode step but makes counting chars unreliable.

HTH,
Ron

please share whatever solutions you come up with. I keep hoping that
someone with more experience will jump in and correct my poor
solutions.